4A WRESTLING STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS
ASAA/FIRST NATIONAL BANK ALASKA
2015 4A WRESTLING STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS
February 6-7, 2015
Anchorage High School
Hosted by: ASAA and Chugiak High School
More Information »
123A WRESTLING STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS
ASAA/FIRST NATIONAL BANK ALASKA
2014 123A WRESTLING STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS
December 12-13, 2014
Bartlett High School
Hosted by: ASAA and ASD
More Information »
Event Directions »
2014 123A Wrestling State Championship Program »
2014 123A Wrestling State Championship Results on Track Wrestling
Tickets are available at the door
Daily Admission – $15 for Adult / $10 for Students & Seniors
This includes ALL matches throughout the day including Semi-Finals!
LIVE WEB STREAMING
The NFHS Network will be streaming the 2014 ASAA First National Bank Alaska 123A Wrestling State Championships.
123A WRESTLING STATE CHAMPIONSHIP ANNOUNCEMENT
Following the 2013 State 1A-2A-3A Wrestling tournament, hosted by ACS, ASAA received a complaint from Americans United for the Separation of Church and State. The complaint was based upon a public prayer delivered at the wrestling tournament just prior to the tournament finals. The complaint generally argued that because the statewide tournament is an ASAA sponsored event, ASAA as a “state actor” could not authorize or be responsible for a prayer because of constitutional establishment clause constraints.
ASAA referred the issue to its own legal counsel for evaluation and opinion. After the ASAA Board reviewed the matter at its recent meeting, it was concluded that an ASAA statewide tournament, even though hosted by ACS or other private school, is nevertheless sponsored by ASAA and is therefore subject to longstanding legal case precedent forbidding the use of prayer at an event sponsored by a public entity.
Anchorage Christian School was then informed by ASAA that a public prayer could not be used in conjunction with any future ASAA statewide tournaments. Anchorage Christian School informed ASAA they would no longer be willing to host the tournament under those circumstances.
ASAA is grateful for ACS’s undertakings to host past ASAA statewide events, and hopes that ACS will be willing to do so in the future. ASAA appreciates the Anchorage School District’s willingness to help us by allowing the tournament to be held at Bartlett High School.
Billy Strickland, Executive Director
Alaska School Activities Association
2014 LANCER SMITH INVITATIONAL
The Lancer Smith Invitational hosted by Palmer High School is Nov. 21st – Nov. 23rd. Please download the informational flyer – 2014 Lancer Smith Tournament Information. Please contact Dale Ewart at Palmer High School with questions.
2014 COLONY JV SCRAMBLE
The Colony JV Scramble is November 21-22. Please download the informational flyer – 2014 Colony JV Scramble Flyer. Please contact Colony Coach Hopkins with any questions. The Colony JV Scramble no longer accepts wrestlers eliminated from the Lancer Smith. Brackets will be set Friday afternoon.
COPPER RIVER RUMBLE
Watch the Copper River Rumble from Cordova High School.
Cordova, Grace Christian, Houston, Valdez, Homer and Su Valley are participating.
Begins Saturday at 10am, finals begin at 7pm
School Abbreviations for Track Wrestling
The following lists were created to help make sure all school names are abbreviated the same way throughout the state. This will help with make sure all wrestler records being used when seeding any tournament. Please be sure to make sure you use these abbreviations throughout the year for all the schools.
• 123A ASAA Wrestling School Abbreviations
• 4A ASAA Wrestling School Abbreviations
• ASAA Wrestling School Abbreviations – Master List
4A Southeast Conference Schools
ASAA Board of Directors adopted for the 2014-15 year only, 4A school teams in Region 5 (Southeast Conference) to wrestling during the 1A/2A/3A season, including participation at the conference and state tournaments. 4A teams are not eligible for team awards. The 4A Southeast Conference berths for 2014-15 will be distributed to the Northern Lights and Mid Alaska Conferences.
Possible 2014-15 Girls Wrestling State Championship
• 2014-15 only – contingent upon number of girls particpating per classification
• The minimum number of girls statewide needed to trigger a state tournament in 1A-2A-3A is 100 participants and in 4A, 50 participants.
• State tournament weight classes will be as follows – 98, 106, 120, 132, 145, 160, 182, 220.
• Girls may only wrestle other girls during conference qualifying tournaments and the state tournament.
• Girls may wrestle either girls or boys during the regular season.
• All matches must be entered into TrackWrestling.
• There must be a minimum of 4 girls in a respective weight class statewide who wrestle at conference tournaments for that weight class to be included at the state tour- nament.
• Conference champions and others select- ed for at-large berths will fill the 6 person bracket, seeding using Track Wrestling.
• State tournaments will be incorporated into the respective boys tournaments.