The Alaska Coaches Education Program is required for all high school athletic coaches who have direct supervision of students. This may include head coaches and assistant coaches at all levels, as well as non paid coaches and coaches of out-sourced programs. (See ASAA Bylaw Article 10)
The Program consists of Five Components
1. Fundamentals of Coaching: NFHS course. (does not expire)
2. Alaska State Component: Covers ASAA Bylaws and Policies. Included in the NFHS Fundamentals of Coaching AK Course or can be taken independently. (does not expire)
3. First Aid Requirement: Maintain a current certification in First Aid. The NFHSlearn First Aid Health and Safety course is valid for three years.
4. Concussion Awareness Training: The requirement to maintain current knowledge in concussion management is mandated by Alaska State Law. It is achieved only by successful completion of the current “NFHS Concussion Course”. It is valid for three years.
5. Sudden Cardiac Arrest Training: It is achieved only by successful completion of the current “NFHS Sudden Cardiac Arrest” course. It is valid for three years.
To begin taking the Online Alaska Coaches Education courses, visit: nfhslearn.com ».
NFHS Fundamentals of Coaching $60
Alaska/ASAA State Component $25 (as a stand alone course)
First Aid, Health and Safety for Coaches $45
Concussion in Sports $0
Sudden Cardiac Arrest $0
Important: There are other sports specific courses available for coaches to further their education. These are optional courses and do not satisfy the ASAA coaching education requirements.
Coach Education Equivalent Certification Request Forms
Coaches who believe that they have completed equivalent courses for Fundamentals of Coaching and First Aid may request an Equivalent Certification. Use the form below to submit all required paperwork. Concussion Awareness, Sudden Cardiac Arrest and the Alaska State Component must be taken through NFHS Learn.
Request for Equivalent Certification for Fundamentals of Coaching
Request for Equivalent Certification for First Aid
Pre-Approved Courses to meet Fundamentals and First Aid Requirements
Coaches Certification Waiver Request
ASAA may grant a one time waiver of the certification requirement upon receiving such a request from the school administration. Please use the following form to request a Waiver.
Waiver of Coaches Certification Requirement
A volunteer is an individual that works with a school’s athletic team in the same manner as a coach but is never in direct supervision of students and is not compensated. Volunteers must complete the following courses (See ASAA Bylaw Article 10)
1. Concussion Awareness Training: It is achieved only by successful completion of the current NFHSLearn Concussion Course. It is valid for three years.
2. Sudden Cardiac Arrest Training: It is achieved only by successful completion of the current NFHSLearn Sudden Cardiac Arrest Course. It is valid for three years.
Call 907-563-3723 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org