The Alaska Coaches Education Program is required for all high school athletic coaches who have direct supervision of students. This may include head coaches and assistant coaches at all levels, as well as non paid coaches and coaches of out-sourced programs. (See ASAA Bylaw Article 10)
THE PROGRAM CONSISTS OF FIVE COMPONENTS
1. Fundamentals of Coaching: NFHS course. (does not expire)
2. Alaska State Component: Covers ASAA Bylaws and Policies. Included in the NFHS Fundamentals of Coaching AK Course or can be taken independently. (does not expire)
3. First Aid Requirement: Maintain a current certification in First Aid. It is achieved by completing the NFHSlearn First Aid, Health and Safety course which is valid for three years or by completing one of the pre-approved courses.
4. Concussion Awareness Training: The requirement to maintain current knowledge in concussion management is mandated by Alaska State Law. It is achieved only by successful completion of the current “NFHS Concussion Course”. It is valid for three years.
5. Sudden Cardiac Arrest Training: It is achieved only by successful completion of the current “NFHS Sudden Cardiac Arrest” course. It is valid for three years.
COACHES OF UNIFIED PROGRAMS (REQUIRED COURSE)
• Heat Illness Prevention $0 (For all outdoor sports)
• Sport specific courses (These courses do not satisfy the ASAA coaching education requirements)
• Protecting Students from Abuse $0 (For level 1 coach certification)
COACHES EDUCATION EQUIVALENT CERTIFICATION REQUEST FORMS
Coaches who believe that they have completed equivalent courses for Fundamentals of Coaching and First Aid may request an Equivalent Certification. Use the form below to submit all required paperwork. Concussion Awareness, Sudden Cardiac Arrest and the Alaska State Component must be taken through NFHS Learn.
• Request for Equivalent Certification for First Aid
• Request for Equivalent Certification for Fundementals of Coaching
• Pre-Approved Courses to meet Fundamentals and First Aid Requirements
COACHES CERTIFICATION WAIVER REQUEST
ASAA may grant a one time waiver of the certification requirement upon receiving such a request from the school administration. Please use the following form to request a Waiver.
• Waiver of Coaches Certification Requirement
A volunteer is an individual that works with a school’s athletic team in the same manner as a coach but is never in direct supervision of students and is not compensated. Volunteers must complete the following courses.
• See ASAA Bylaw Article 10
1. Concussion Awareness Training: It is achieved only by successful completion of the current NFHSLearn Concussion Course. It is valid for three years.
2. Sudden Cardiac Arrest Training: It is achieved only by successful completion of the current NFHSLearn Sudden Cardiac Arrest Course. It is valid for three years.
Call 907-563-3723 or email: email@example.com