The Alaska School Activities Association Board has approved and recommends to it’s member school districts that they implement the following Sports Medicine recommendations into school district policy.
1. That school districts follow the Recommendations & Guidelines for Minimizing Head Impact Exposure and Concussion Risk in Football as developed by the NFHS and ASAA Sports Medicine Advisory Committees.
2. That schools will attempt, when possible, to have qualified medical personnel on site for athletic contests.
3. Schools should have an automated external defibrillator (AED) at each practice and competition.
4. Coaches should be required to take a CPR/AED course.
5. Schools should write and rehearse an emergency action plan (EAP) for each venue used for practice or competition.
1. NFHS online course “Heat Illness Prevention” be taken by cross country, football and tennis coaches.
1. Allow team medical staff to move freely from 20 yard line to 20 yard line while respecting the 2 yard barrier in football and from the 40 yard line to the 15 yard line while respecting the 10′ barrier in soccer.
2. Allow 2 medical personnel into the hockey coach box in addition to the 5 team personnel as allowed by the NFHS
3. Encourage schools to hire athletic trainers